New Year, New You
The turning of the calendar pages from one year to the next is an excellent time for us to reevaluate the choices that we have made, and to begin working towards a healthier, happier lifestyle. From 21 days to 6 weeks, it takes time to retrain the brain and body –and to adjust to the new you. It’s easy to get started, but when life gets hard the goal is the first to go due to the enormity of trying to stay on track! Acknowledging the change we wish to make is an important first step, and moving forward with intention will help to stay the path towards true change. Below are some tips and tricks to help you on your way to success:
Slowly build to your overall goal. Resolving to never eat your favorite food again is setting yourself up to fail. Set your goal and break it down into smaller, bite sized portions that you can tackle. If your goal is to exercise more often, schedule three or four days a week at the gym instead of all seven. If you would like to eat healthier, try replacing dessert with something else you enjoy – like fruit or yogurt. Don’t look at your goal as a form of punishment. Below are examples of smaller goals that are easily manageable:
- Eat fewer calories each day
- Do 30 minutes of physical activity 4 or 5 days a week
- Save Schedule one hour each week for you-time
- Read one book every month
- Write one entry a day in a gratitude journal
- Do a 30 second plank every day
- Designate one day a month to family-time
- Practice a new skill for 30 minutes a day
GO AT YOUR OWN PACE
Comparing yourself to others does yourself no good. Everyone is different. Just because your best friend Suzie is losing more weight each week, or learning a new skill faster than you are, does not mean that you aren’t doing a great job as well. Take your time, be persistent, and know that you are doing the best you can – you will see results soon.
HOLD YOURSELF ACCOUNTABLE
Announcing your goals to your friends, family, or co-workers is one way to hold yourself accountable for achieving them. Social support is one of the most important factors when it comes to your success. If it is embarrassing to share with friends and family, join an online community that shares your goals. You will not only benefit from the many words of support and encouragement you receive, but you could pick up a goal buddy or two!
PLAN IT OUT
Having a daily plan to achieve puts you in control of the steps toward your main goal. Trying to add more physical activity to your daily routine? Steps like packing your gym bag the night before and placing it in the car will ensure that you are fueled and ready for the next day’s workout.
Even if your goal isn’t fitness/weight loss related – movement has been proven to boost your mood! For many Americans, our work life is sedentary (office related), and bringing in movement throughout our day will help us to be more focused, productive, and happy. Stand up and walk away from your desk once an hour, take the stairs rather than the elevator, stretch daily, etc. The important thing is to bring movement back into your day.
DON’T BEAT YOURSELF UP
We all slip every now and then - we are only human. No one is perfect. Don’t turn a relapse or temporary failure into an excuse for giving up. Instead, focus on your achievements. Do the best that you can and take it one day at a time, patting yourself on the back for what you have already done. Take a breath, look back at the resolution that you set, pick yourself back up, and continue your path towards your goal.
ENVISION YOUR SUCCESS
When you can see yourself achieving that goal, it will actually happen. Visualization is easy and you can practice it anywhere. Close your eyes and believe that you can do it. We are all capable of achieving those goals - believe in yourself!
FIND A COMMUNITY TO SUPPORT YOU
It’s all about the community you surround yourself with. Wellness centers, like The Granite YMCA, provide a comfortable atmosphere, like-minded people, motivation, accountability, and knowledge. By encouraging good health, fostering connections, and providing a place to gather with new and old friends – the YMCA is the perfect place to achieve your goals. With a commitment to nurturing potential, improving health and well-being, giving back and supporting neighbors, the YMCA provides a wealth of knowledge and skills to help you make your resolution a reality.
- Trying to lose weight? The YMCA has wellness staff members to guide you on correct weight loss practices and nutrition basics.
- Planning to spend 30 minutes of physical activity four or five days a week? Each of our five YMCA branches features state of the art wellness centers with cardio machines, strength machines, and wellness classes to keep you moving, grooving, and enjoying yourself while you work towards your goal.
- Looking to take one hour each week for you-time? The YMCA has a large variety of programs for every personality. From self-defense classes, to essential oil workshops, to cooking classes – there’s something for everyone. Branch out and try something new that you will enjoy.
- Having trouble writing one entry a day in your gratitude journal? The YMCA is great at motivation. Our staff members are here to help you appreciate yourself and gain more confidence in you. Consider us your biggest support system.
- Committed to doing a 30-second plank every day? The YMCA can help you get the most out of each plank you do. Once you master the simple plank, we’ll even show you how to challenge yourself more!
- Looking to spend more time with family and the weekends? The YMCA holds numerous free family nights for members to enjoy new skills together and make memories for years to come.
WE ARE HERE FOR YOU.
The Granite YMCA is, and always will be, dedicated to building healthy, confident, connected, and secure kids, adults, families, seniors, and communities. From January 1 - 21, 2021, you can join the YMCA and pay only a $20 join fee! That’s a savings of up to $55. Visit the Welcome Center at any of our branches, we will give you a tour of the facility and help you get started. As a member of our family you will enjoy FREE family fun nights, reduced fees for camps and programs, income-based membership rates, full privileges at all branches of The Granite YMCA, financial assistance, and membership access to all YMCA’s nationwide! You are Y. The YMCA wants to help you become the best you, you can be. Conquer those New Year’s resolutions with us.